CycleMiles
Velo Vision Forum  : FAQ and Help
How to use the forum, acceptable use policy, posting images and other admin type topics. Read-only. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Having trouble registering?
Posted by: peter (IP Logged)
Date: June 08, 2006 07:54PM

I've had a few people reporting having trouble registering - it appears they never get the email with the registration details, so can't log in. Re-trying with the same user name then fails saying it already exists...

I suspect the emails are being swallowed by over-zealous spam filters somewhere, but can't think of anything to do about that.

Anyway, if this happens to you then please just email me at peter (at) velovision.co.uk with your user name and I'll fix it manually via my admin interface. I'll send you a temporary password which you should use to log in, then change to your own choice of password.

As I write this I can see three users 'pending confirmation' which is where it stops if you don't get the email. I'll email those users now...

UPDATE January 2012: In response to a tidal wave of spammers I'm now approving new registrations manually. I usually check for new users several times a day but there could be a delay of 24 hours or more before you get approved. Note that if the first part of your email address is a string of seemingly spambot-generated random characters, or you are using a host obviously based in China or Russia, it would be an idea to send me an email first to indicate that you're legitimate - otherwise I'll probably just block the registration attempt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2012 12:01PM by peter.

Re: Having trouble registering?
Posted by: Pedaldog (IP Logged)
Date: June 08, 2006 09:14PM

Thanks Peter, it has worked for me and I can log in and out.

[z10.invisionfree.com]

At the pace of sailing ships and bicycles.

Posted by: Tom (IP Logged)
Date: June 09, 2006 08:36AM

Worked for me too. Thanks Pete!

Posted by: simon (IP Logged)
Date: June 09, 2006 04:35PM

It's worth pointing out that 'lost' emails are nothing to do with the forum code itself - if your confirmation email doesn't go through, please take the matter up with whoever is responsible for hosting your email or, better yet, don't use webmail accounts for registration.

Simon

Posted by: Pedersen (IP Logged)
Date: June 09, 2006 05:39PM

Hello Peter,

Yes you fixed! Great I can log in and log out!

Thanks for help, Peter.

Best regards from Holland,

Ray

Posted by: Clarion (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2006 04:06PM

Peter

I'm in! Thanks for sorting.

New forum looking good.

Date: June 19, 2006 11:55AM

Just to add that most of the problems to date have been with AOL, Hotmail and Yahoo email addresses. Just sent off another batch of temporary passwords to those affected.

Posted by: BeardyWeirdy (IP Logged)
Date: July 05, 2006 07:58AM

Thanks Peter

Posted by: Simon Hartley (IP Logged)
Date: November 28, 2006 04:23PM

It seems to work now. Stand by for floods of pithy comments courtesy of yours truly...

Posted by: Mike Rodgers (IP Logged)
Date: April 17, 2007 01:09PM

Thanks Peter, sorted!
Mike

Posted by: Abrasive_Scotsman (IP Logged)
Date: August 13, 2007 10:59AM

I'm willing to bet I know why this is happening. I'll bet your lost email members are all AOL customers. I am, and I never got my email for my first attempt at registering "Abrasive Scotsman" without the underscore. AOL does something called "blacklisting" where it blocks whole IPs when it thinks spam is coming from. Cos automated registration emails often look like spam this often happens to them. Worst thing is they block them at the server level so you never even hear that someone has been trying to email you, it is very annoying. I've had to set up a Gmail account for my business because I don't trust my AOL account enough.

Date: September 11, 2007 04:10PM

They're not all AOL, but it is them, Yahoo, Hotmail and the other big free email account providers who come up most often.

Posted by: dean.hipple (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2009 09:32AM

Me too, I've made it !
Thanks Peter
Dean

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum. Please log in and try again.
This forum powered by Phorum.