London Recumbents
Velo Vision Forum  : VV Discussion
Discussion of Velo Vision magazine contents, the website, and all topics likely to be of interest to Velo Vision readers 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Packing a trike for a plane trip
Posted by: Steveindenmark (IP Logged)
Date: April 04, 2010 10:59AM

Has anyone taken their trike on an aeroplane and if so how did you pack it?

Steve

Re: Packing a trike for a plane trip
Date: April 05, 2010 08:44AM

I came across this site which looks quite interesting.

I going to talk to Bob at air caddy and see if we can come up with something for a trike.

[www.aircaddy.com]

Steve

Posted by: Pedalabit (IP Logged)
Date: April 16, 2010 08:52PM

Hello Steve

Take the ferry - there are no planes flying at the moment due to the dust from Iceland

There was a feature on the ICE web site showing how to fit a Trice into a "Dahon" Bag, not sure if it would be secure for plane travel? Neil and Chris at Ice would be able to offer advice I am sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2010 08:56PM by Pedalabit.

Date: April 17, 2010 05:15PM

Thanks for that Pedalabit.

Last time I took my bike to Italy with Ryanair I turned the handlebars side ways on, took the pedals off and let the air out of the tyres and that was it. No problems going or coming back.

I wonder if they would let a trike on if you booked it on as a bike and just played dumb.

I will get in touch with Neil or Chris.

Alistair is shipping my trike up to Denmark from France in a box that is 94cm X 64cm X 64cm which I think is pretty good for a plane.

Steve

Posted by: Seamus (IP Logged)
Date: April 20, 2010 03:12PM

go this off the triceriders@yahoogroups.com...

Packing Trikes for Travel by Air: Within the checked baggage allowance.
Saturday April 10, 2010...

[www.crazyguyonabike.com]

Posted by: RobH (IP Logged)
Date: April 20, 2010 05:55PM

Last time I travelled by air with trike I just UPS'd the trike and flew separately... Trike went in the original manufacturer's box, UPS charged ?35 Germany-to-UK (same as EasyJet wanted) and I didn't have to fight getting the trike to and from the airport at each end of the trip.
Just used a friendly bike shop at drop off/collection point.
Oh, and any damage is their problem too! <grin>
Rob

Would you like to to post a message or a reply? Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please use the 'Log In' link above either to sign in if you already have an account, or to register as a new user if you do not.
This forum powered by Phorum.