London Recumbents
Velo Vision Forum  : VV Discussion
Discussion of Velo Vision magazine contents, the website, and all topics likely to be of interest to Velo Vision readers 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
QNT...Help needed
Posted by: Steveindenmark (IP Logged)
Date: April 22, 2010 05:26PM

My 2008 QNT arrived in a box from France and it is beautiful. I have the instruction book with it and have made a valiant effort at putting it together myself, which is no mean feat for someone who can just about repair a puncture.

I have done everything and have just put the chain on and this is where you all start laughing.

If I pedal forward nothing happens, the chain just runs through the tubes.

If I pedal backwards the trike moves forwards. I have checked the rear derailleur again and again against the manual and it looks right to me but I know very little about bikes or trikes.

I know it will be a simple fix, I just do not know what it is, but at least I am getting very familiar with the trike.

I will post photographs if it helps but I would appreciate some advice as it is driving me nuts now.

Steve

Re: QNT...Help needed
Posted by: peter (IP Logged)
Date: April 22, 2010 05:37PM

I think you probably need to undo the chain and swap it round so where it currently goes through the chain tube nearest the frame, that run of chain should go through the tube furthest from the frame...

Seems like the wrong run of chain is pulling on the freewheel!

Check pictures of the front of the trike, and especially how the chain runs from the chainring into the tubes...

Posted by: Arch (IP Logged)
Date: April 22, 2010 07:35PM

If I were the mischevious sort, I would suggest you check if you've got forwards chain, in case you've been given backwards chain by mistake. That would be one of those things you send the 'new boy' to get from the shop, a backward driving bike chain.

More seriously:

Follow the line of the chain with a finger and make sure that the chain runs from the top of the chainring to the top of the sprockets, and not to the bottom.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

Also often found on www.cyclechat.co.uk

Posted by: RobH (IP Logged)
Date: April 22, 2010 08:02PM

Ah Arch, so you've fitted a chain so you're using the bottom backwards side of it rather than the top forward side too!
Take the chain off, flip it over, away you go - so much easier than modifying a hub gear to give a reverse gear!

Posted by: Arch (IP Logged)
Date: April 22, 2010 08:20PM

Actually, I don't think I've ever done this. ;-)

But I have tried to work out a line of knitting from an unclear pattern, got it wrong, unpicked it, tried again and made the same mistake all over again.

Twice.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

Also often found on www.cyclechat.co.uk

Posted by: Pedalabit (IP Logged)
Date: April 22, 2010 09:29PM

Steve - can I suggest you make sure your clips under the seat are tight, if they come unclipped they could work loose and lose them. If you did a jubilie clip would be a good short term replacement.

Looking forward to hearing about your "Trice Downhill Grin"

Posted by: Steveindenmark (IP Logged)
Date: April 22, 2010 09:48PM

Problem solved guys.

I had crossed the chain. It is the first time I had ever had a chain this long.

I saw a clip of a guy on Youtube where he could reverse his trike by pedalling backwards. I was almost tempted to ring Alistair and ask him where he had put all the forward gears.

It is ok Arch I have got a long stand and I am collecting the tartan paint tomorrow.

Steve

Posted by: Pedalabit (IP Logged)
Date: April 23, 2010 06:15PM

Where can you get tartan Paint? - it would look good on my Scottish Girlie's Trike

Posted by: Geoff (IP Logged)
Date: April 23, 2010 07:32PM

They're on the same shelf as Glass Hammers and Long Sands. While you're there will you get me some red and white striped paint? It's on the shelf above the tartan paint.

"I thought of that while riding my bike." --Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail.
1951 Engine in need of partial rebuild.

Would you like to to post a message or a reply? Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Please use the 'Log In' link above either to sign in if you already have an account, or to register as a new user if you do not.
This forum powered by Phorum.